This Z80 based modular computer runs CP/M 2.2 and also the Small Computer Monitor.
The complete system consisting of:
- SC114 – Z80 Single Board Computer (SBC)
- SC145 – Compact Flash interface module
- Compact Flash card (128MB is ideal)
- FTDI style USB to serial adapter/cable
- Z80 processor runing at 7.3728 MHz
- 128k bytes RAM (second 64k is not easy to use)
- 32k bytes ROM
- Asynchronous serial port (9600 baud)
- Powered from USB to serial adapter
- RC2014 bus compatible expansion
- Small Computer Monitor (SCM) in ROM
- BASIC in ROM
A fast serial port is desirable. SC139 contains a 68B50 ACIA and this gives the system a nice 115200 baud serial port. It has its own onboard clock to make it independent of the processor clock speed.
While the system can be powered from the USB to serial adapter, a better power supply can be useful. SC142 provides a regulated 5-volt supply from an 8 to 15-volt input. It also includes an on/off switch, a reset button, and a voltage supervisor/reset device. The voltage supervisor ensures the system gets a clean reset signal at power-up and when the reset button is pressed.
WARNING: The system should not be powered from two sources at the same time. Therefore, the serial port on SC114 should not be used with a powered USB adapter when the SC142 power module is fitted. In practice, this means you should get a serial module (eg. SC139) before getting the power supply module.
This is not currently available as a complete kit, but the individual modules are all available as kits on Tindie.
Documenation and Software
- This design is made in accordance with the “designed for RC2014” labelling scheme.
- RC2014 is a trademark of RFC2795 Ltd.
- This product is designed for hobby use and is not suitable for industrial, commercial, or safety-critical applications.